It’s funny how 4 little people can take you on a journey you never in your wildest dreams thought would be possible. I had it all planned out, I would go to school get my teaching degree and work in a classroom for the majority of my career. However, life threw me on a little detour and the arrival of my children changed the trajectory of my career (and my life) into a tailspin.
However, the learning challenges that my children have struggled with and the skills that I have garnered by having to advocate for them, means that I understand what success looks like inside and outside of the classroom. My children have blossomed in alternative programming that has has allowed them the freedom to be who they are. It has also given them the ability to learn at their own pace, and to show growth in ways I had not thought possible. As I have experienced more focus on blended and alternative learning environments, it gives me a perspective that many other teachers do not have.
My goal is to support parents and students through their own learning journeys drawing on my experiences, consulting with other parents and educators, owning my preschool, and running a successful alternative educational conference. Let’s sit down, have a tea and chat.
Bachelor of Education (Elementary ELA Specialization)
Werklund School of Education, University of Calgary
Convocation June 2020
Bachelor of General Arts and Science
Early Childhood Education
Glamorgan School Calgary, AB
Grade 3 Practicum Pre-Service Teacher November 2019 to December 2019
- Designed and implemented lesson plans for a classroom of 23 students.
- Fostered curiosity, creativity, and exploration through hands-on projects and lessons.
- Attended and contributed to weekly PLC meeting with the Grade 3 team.
- Encouraged a classroom culture that was student centered and prioritized pedagogical relationships.
- Adapted lesson plans for differentiation, both for accommodations and extensions.
Foundations of the Future Charter Academy Calgary, AB
Grade 1 Practicum Pre-Service Teacher March 2019 to April 2019
- Designed and implemented lesson plans for a classroom of 22 students.
- Focused on early-literacy skills with students in daily guided reading groups.
- Incorporated my knowledge of WRTR to enhance daily word and spelling instruction.
- Fostered a classroom community that placed pedagogical relationships at the forefront.
- Adapted lesson plans for all levels of understandings and abilities.
Inspired Secular Homeschooling Conference Calgary, AB
Founder/ Event Organizer September 2015 to Present
- Effectively multitask and exhibit superior organizational skills.
- Create marketing materials using various advertising venues.
- Successfully provide workshops and speaking sessions on a variety of educational topics
- Manage volunteers and speakers during the event.
Room to Grow Learning Centers inc. Calgary, AB
Co-Owner & Marketing and media relations March 2006 to March 2012
- Independently owned and operated an innovative children’s centre in downtown Calgary that incorporated a family first philosophy in all the classes offered. Classes included a parented preschool, two independent preschools, and various other classes for parents such as yoga, art, music and dance.
- Designed and implemented new classes for parents including “Beyond Basics for New Parents”.
- Created and executed public relations strategy that resulted in the centre being featured in print in Calgary’s Child, and the Calgary Herald. The centre was also featured in the media on Global, Shaw, and CBC.
- Created and executed customer service strategies to lead the centre to win the Calgary’s Child Magazine Best Preschool (runner up)”, “Best Playgroup”, and “Best Preschooler Programming (runner up)”.